The Fifth Annual Conference of the MPSG took place on Friday 17th and Saturday 18th July 2015 at King's College London. The conference was co-hosted by the Departments of Music and Philosophy at King's College London and the Institute of Musical Research, University of London. As part of our first ever tri-continental partnership, it was held in collaboration with the Music and Philosophy Study Group of the American Musicological Society and De Musica - Laboratório de Estética e Filosofia da Música in Brazil.
Our distinguished keynote speakers were:
- Christopher Peacocke (Columbia University), with a response from Nicholas Cook (University of Cambridge)
- Kay Kaufman Shelemay (Harvard University), with a response from Stephen Mumford (University of Nottingham)
There was also be a plenary discussion panel on the topic of "Absolute Music" featuring:
- Mark Evan Bonds (University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill)
- Hannah Ginsborg (University of California, Berkeley)
- Tamara Levitz (University of California, Los Angeles)
The event was generously supported by King’s College London, the Institute of Musical Research, Trinity Laban Conservatoire, the University of Hull, the British Society of Aesthetics, the Royal Musical Association, and Mind Association.
This section of the site contains:
- the call for papers (closed)
- further information about our keynote speakers, respondents and plenary panellists
- the conference programme